Wednesday, October 19th
I finished installing the rear
carpet/interior stuff tonight. I also finished the
Eibach spring install with the two rears. They were a
bit more difficult than the fronts, primarily because
the top nuts are more difficult to get to, and the lower
bolts aren't as accessible. My dad showed me a trick to
removing the lower splined bolts. Using a large socket
and a C-clamp, I placed the large socket on the side
with the head of the bolt, and the C-clamp was used to
press the bolt out. Pretty simple, but much easier than
trying to beat it with a hammer in such a confined
The car now sits very nicely, and will be
perfect once it's finished. It's a little hard to tell
on the passenger side because I still have a temporary
spare on there, but I should have new tires mounted
later this week and will have 4 regular wheels/tires on
it. There won't be any more progress until this weekend
or later since I have other commitments the rest of the
week, and I don't have the paint to begin cutting
everything in yet.
Monday, October 24th
I installed my custom 4" fenderwell
intake yesterday. It was fairly easy considering that
the front bumper was off and made bending the fender
bracket so much easier. Thanks to Brian
Patterson(NICETRY) for pointing me in the right
direction on picking up the 4" Fernco elbow. My friend
Bobby mounted and balanced my new Kumho Solus 225/55HR17
tires today. They look like a nice all-season tire. Not
much else accomplished today. Hopefully we'll begin
painting all the jambs and inner structure this week. I
still have the pull the rear struts off the car to cut
the bump stops. I neglected to read the instructions
closely and didn't cut them at all even though it
specifically stated that it needed to be done.
It was raining outside all day, and since
my car currently has no back window, I didn't take it
outside for pictures.
When I got home this evening, my chrome
lug covers I bought from eBay for $26 had arrived. They
won't be going on for a while, but I was glad to get
them. I also got a response on some new brake parts that
will be adding a bit of bling behind the wheels. If
you've seen the brakes on my Hawk, you know the look I'm
going for. More on that later ; )
Wednesday, October 26th
I finally got around to installing the
auto-dim mirror with compass. The install was
surprisingly simple. Although I initially removed the
dome light assembly to tap into the power there, I found
that the reserve auxiliary power (RAP) I needed was just
one pin over (pin 12) from the pin which was missing in
the CompG. Once I jumped power from pin 12 to pin 13,
the mirror and compass were both fully functional,
including the OnStar.
I installed the chrome lug nut covers in
the rear just to see what they were going to look like.
I think I'll keep them : ) I also worked on trying to
get the right rear tail light to fit properly. It
appears to have been warped due to the accident since
it's flared out at the bottom and doesn't fit the
quarter panel properly. I'm going to be watching eBay
for a replacement.
I also ordered the front LS1 brakes for
my conversion today. Later this week I should have two
sets of brake calipers (front LS1, stock rear) as well
as caliper mounts. Both sets of caliper mounts will be
going to the chrome shop next door for some shiny stuff.
The extra rear calipers will be painted red to match the
fronts. I'll be keeping the stock red powdercoated CompG
calipers and painting the new ones the same color of red
that's on my Firehawk. Thanks to Ed Morad from
moradpartscompany.com for the great deal on the rear
calipers/brackets, and Billy Graham Firebird/Camaro
Salvage for the deal on the front setup.
We were able to find someone with a stud
gun which will allow us to pull the small dents in the
sail panel and also shrink the quarter panel where it is
still slightly bulged.
I was lazy yesterday and didn't take any
pictures. I'll get some next time I'm over there.
Saturday, October 29th
I worked on the LS1 brakes today. They
were completely filthy when I received them, so I spent
quite a bit of time cleaning them up and prepping them
for paint. I also sanded the casting marks off of the
face of the caliper. The brackets will be going to the
chrome shop on Monday for a little bling. I got the
LS1 rotors from my cousin Chris, and had all four rotors
turned for a nice smooth finish.